Acorn Squash with Apple
What you will need:
1 acorn squash
2 apples, cored and sliced
1 T butter
2T brown sugar or 1T honey
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
1 T chopped walnuts (optional)
Items you will also need depending on your chosen cooking method:
oven proof dish or microwave safe dish, plastic wrap or aluminum foil, a little water
Preparation Steps (Oven and Stove top)
1. Peel the acorn squash as shown in the video link provided here or using the following method:
Set a large pot of water for boiling, making sure that the pot is large enough to hold the squash without boiling over. Bring to a boil and carefully set the squash into the boiling water. Boil it long enough to make the skin soft so that it can be peeled, about 15 minutes.
Remove from the hot plate for a few minutes to let it cool a bit.
Carefully pour out the hot water. Now cover the squash with cold water and let it cool in this water for at least 5 minutes. When cool, remove the squash and use a knife to remove the skin on the protruding ridges. Next use a spoon to scoop out the skin from the valleys between the ridges.
2. Remove the stem and then cut the squash in half.
3. Use a spoon to remove the pulp and seeds.
4. Cut the remaining halves each into 1 inch square chunks.
5. Place chunks of squash and slices of apple in an oven proof dish.
6. Add a ¼ cup of water.
7. Over the top add a few dolops of butter, sprinkle with a mix of sugar and cinnamon, add salt and some nuts if desired.
8. Cover with foil and place the dish in the oven. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 50 minutes.
Microwave Preparation Steps
If you prefer to prepare your acorn squash using a microwave, here’s what to do.
Follow the instructions as above to step 4. Then continue below.
5. Cut the halves into 1 inch square chunks and place them along with slices of apple in a micro-wave safe dish.
6. Add a few dolops of butter, sprinkle with a little sugar mixed with cinnamon, and add salt and nuts (if desired).
7. Wrap with microwave safe plastic (Do Not use aluminum/tin foil!) and poke some holes in the top to allow ventilation. Place in the microwave and cook at full power for 7 to 8 minutes.
8. Remove and stir.
9. Then return it to the microwave to cook until tender, another 7 to 8 minutes approximately.