Here’s a way to enjoy nutritious sweet potatoes without a whole lot of sweet… for those of us without such a hungry sweet tooth!
Wonderful served with beef or lamb along with a side of salad.
What you need:
- 3 medium onions, cubed
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2T butter
- 3T fresh parsley, chopped
- 3T green onion tops, sliced thin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 cups milk
- 2T all purpose flour
- 2 Swiss cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup old Cheddar cheese, grated
What to Do:
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Warm butter in sauce pan and saute onions and garlic until golden in colour. Stir in parsley, green onion tops, sea salt, pepper and ground nutmeg.
3. Put thinly sliced potatoes and sweet potatoes together into a microwave safe bowl. Add the rest of the milk..
4. Microwave potato slices at high power for 5 minutes. Stir and return to microwave to cook for another 5 minutes on high power.
5. Drain the milk from the potatoes into a bowl. Add the flour to the milk and stir in to mix thoroughly.
6. Add milk to the sauteed onions and mix well.
7. Layer 1/2 the potatoes in a greased baking dish 9 by 13 inch. Spoon one half the onion mixture over this layer and spread 1/2 of the Swiss cheese. Then create a second layer of potatoes using the rest of the potatoes. Spoon over remaining onion mixture and add rest of the Swiss cheese.
8. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top.
9. Bake, covered, at 375F for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for another 30 minutes until done.
10. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Here’s a quick tip…
if you’ve got leftovers, this dish can be frozen and reheated later. It can work well as one of those you make ahead for busy days too.