Pickled Radish With Fennel
Spicy Pickled Radishes with Fennel
1 bunch radishes
1 cup of fennel cut the long way
4 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 or 4 black peppercorns
½ teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
¾ cup apple cider vinegar
¾ cup water
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
1. Slice the tops and root ends off the radishes. Cut the radishes into thin slices and set them aside.
2. Slice the fennel in long pieces about ½ inch thick.
3. Put the peeled garlic cloves, mustard seeds, turmeric, peppercorns and red pepper flakes in the canning jar. Next add the radishes and fennel, packing them tightly as you layer them for a colourful effect. When the jar is filled, set it aside.
4. To prepare the brine, pour the vinegar and water into a pot. Add honey and salt. Stir together and bring to a boil for a few minutes.
5. Stir the mixture and pour it over the radishes and fennel in the jar. The jar will be hot.
6. Put the lid on the jar when finished and set it aside to cool.
7. Tighten the lid and set it aside for culturing. Ideally at a temperature of 17 to 20C . Over the next few days, loosen the lid just enough to release any pressure that builds up. Be sure to retighten it.
8. When cultured to your taste, put the jar in the refrigerator to halt the process. It’s now ready to enjoy.
Let us know how what you think! Leave a comment.