- pie pumpkin
- pressure canner
- sterilized canning jars with lids
What To Do:
- Carefully cut out the stem and remove the insides as if you’re making a jack-o-lantern.
- Cut the pumpkin into cubes, 3/4” roughly. Use a knife to cut the tough skin off the side of the cubes.
- Put the pumpkin cubes into a pot of water making sure all are under water.
- Boil until slightly tender (not mushy), up to 2 minutes or so depending on the size of your cubes.
- Remove the cubes from the water. Put them into sterilized jars.
- Pour the liquid from boiling the pumpkin over the cubes in the jars, leaving about 3/4” of space at the top.
- Put lids and seals in place and set the jars into the canner.
- Process at 15 lbs pressure. Pint jars need 55 minutes; quart jars 1.5 hours.
To make a puree just take these canned cubes and put them through a food processor or blender until smooth and consistent. Enjoy in pies, soups, and cakes any time of the year!