Here’s a bowl of comfort coming right up! It’s just the thing for a cold winter’s day. And it’s easy to prepare.
You can make this delightful soup in under 30 minutes. I’d suggest making a little extra, while you’re at it so you can freeze some for ready-to-heat servings on busy days.
What You’ll Need:
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups carrots
- 9 cups sweet potato (just under 3 pounds)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ½ Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 5 cups water
What To Do:
- Chop onions and garlic.
- Clean and peel carrots and sweet potatoes. Then cut them into small cubes.
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. When bubbling add garlic and onion and saute until tender (about 4 minutes).
- Add carrots and sweet potatoes. Saute for another 8 minutes, until they begin to get soft.
- Add salt and black pepper. Stir in.
- Add water to the pot and bring it to a boil. Let boil for about 5 minutes. Then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook about 5 minutes longer, until carrots and sweet potatoes are very soft.
- Use a blender or food processor to puree the soup until smooth. (A hand blender works nice for this and allows you to puree the mix right in the pot. If you don’t have one available, be sure to remove the pot from heat and let it cool a bit before transferring the mixture to the blender or food processor.)
- Stir in honey, vanilla extract, thyme and nutmeg so all is thoroughly mixed.
- Before serving, reheat the soup over low-medium heat.
- Serve warm. Top with garnish as desired.
Try this soup topped with a little whipped cream and sprinkle of ground cinnamon!
Tip: This soup is a good one to make in larger volumes to freeze and use later for a quick to prepare meal on busier days.