Here’s a quick and delicious way to use those beet greens. It also works well with kale, collard greens, and broccoli stems sliced thin.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 bunch of beets with tops
- 2 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 c onion, chopped
- 1 green garlic, whole plant chopped fine
- ½ c water
- 2 tsp of honey
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp vinegar
What To Do:
- Rinse and drain beet greens. Remove any tough stem sections and cut the greens into bite size pieces.
- In a pan, fry the bacon until lightly browned and then remove them from pan. Add the onions and green garlic to the fat and sautee them until just golden.
- Add water, honey and cayenne pepper. Stir them in to mix well and let it all come to a gentle boil.
- Add the beet greens and mix well. Cook until the greens are just tender. Then reduce heat to minimum setting.
- Add the vinegar and stir in. Let simmer for 10 minutes to let flavours blend.
- Serve and enjoy.
Here Are Two Variations You Might Like to Try
Don’t like hot or spicy foods? Simply substitute a little ground black pepper in place of the cayenne pepper.
You can also, skip the vinegar and add a handful of chopped fresh sorrel leaves. Sorrel has a delightful mild lemony flavour that works well here.