Spinach Pecan Salad with Balsamic Vinegar Dressing
1 medium onion white or red (to add colour)
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1 tsp cooking oil
1/8 cup olive oil
½ garlic clove, pressed
3/8 cup balsamic vinegar
½ Tablespoon molasses
¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Prepare spinach – wash, rinse and spin dry, if leaves are very large you may want to tear them into smaller pieces
- Prepare pecans – heat a frying pan with a little oil in the bottom (about a tsp.), add pecan pieces to warm oil, stir gently until roasted
- Prepare the onion – peel and slice thinly to form rings
- Combine spinach, onion slices and pecans in a large bowl.
- Prepare the dressing – in a smaller saucepan heat the olive oil a little over low heat and saute the garlic in it. Let the warm oil absorb the garlic flavour slowly over a few minutes. Then add the vinegar, pepper and molasses. Stir and let the mixture come close to boiling then remove it. Let it cool a bit.
- Pour the warm dressing over the spinach, pecans and onions and toss to coat the spinach leaves just before serving.
Note: You may want to put more molasses and less vinegar in the dressing